- A new Chair and Vice Chair of the District Councils’ Network’s Chief Executives’ Group have been appointed.
- Paul Shevlin, Chief Executive of Craven District Council, formerly Vice Chair, has been appointed Chair, taking over from Sandra Dinneen, Chief Executive of South Norfolk District Council. Louise Round, Chief Executive of Tandridge District Council, has replaced Paul as Vice Chair.
- Paul is the Chief Executive of Craven District Council and started in this role in 2008. He has been a Chief Executive for over 17 years with over 40 years’ service to local government. The work that Paul has undertaken at Craven has seen a remarkable turnaround in the council’s financial position, reducing the net budget by over 34 per cent with a similar reduction in staffing and reducing management costs by over 40 per cent.
- In addition, Paul chairs the Prevent Board for North Yorkshire and York. Committed to partnership working Craven now has shared internal audit, strategic housing, parking enforcement, and a shared office with NYCC with reception, facilities management, cleaning services etc. shared on site.
- Paul said: “I am delighted to have been appointed Chair of the District Councils’ Network’s Chief Executives’ Group. As the planning, housing and growth authorities, districts are the key to our future prosperity and they are also pivotal to delivering the local industrial strategies which drive the Government’s Modern Industrial Strategy.”
- Before moving to work in Surrey, Louise worked in a number of London boroughs, most recently in Islington, as Corporate Director of Resources. A qualified solicitor with specialist knowledge in local authority governance and the law relating to social care and child protection, she has now put this to use in seeking to develop the roles district councils can play in the prevention and early intervention agenda and in safeguarding, in addition to the more obvious importance they have in leading and shaping our places.
- Louise said: “It will be great to work with Paul and colleagues on behalf of district councils everywhere. This is a key time for district councils, which will be the driving force of pivotal issues such as housing and planning, economic growth and health and wellbeing.”
The District Councils’ Network is a member led network of 200 district councils. We are a Special Interest Group of the Local Government Association (LGA), and provide a single voice for district councils within the LGA and to Central Government.
- The District Councils’ Network was established in 2009 and works on behalf of all district councils nationwide.
- 200 district councils are represented on the Network’s Assembly by council leaders nationwide.
- An elected group of leaders represent the district councils nationwide on a 22-strong Member Board.
- A corresponding group of Chief Executives represent councils on the Chief Executives Group.
https://districtcouncils.info/ Twitter: @districtcouncil
Senior Media Relations Officer
Tel: 0207 664 3375