The role of district councils in integrated care was the subject of a recent DCN webinar.
The event, held on 20 July, brought together the representatives of member councils and other parts of the health and care system to discuss how we can work together to reduce healthcare inequalities.
Chairing the event was Cllr Hannah Dalton, DCN Health Spokesperson, and it also featured Chris Naylor and Luca Tiratelli of The King’s Fund, who recently undertook research for the DCN on this issue.
Other speakers included Professor Jim McManus, President of the Association of Directors of Public Health; Ian Fytche, Chief Executive of North Kesteven District Council; and Ian Davidson, Chief Executive of Tendring District Council. Mr Davidson contributed footage from his council’s work on supporting children in schools through the Great Bentley Wellbeing Hub.
The importance of working across different bodies to instigate change was a prominent feature of the discussion.
To find out more about the research you can read the King’s Fund full report, as well as various articles which appeared in the media about the research.
Media coverage of our King’s Fund Report
- Jamie Sutterby and Trevor Holden, Broadland and South Norfolk Councils in The MJ (£): Leading the prevention revolution
- Natalie Brahma-Pearl, Chief Executive of Crawley Borough Council in The MJ (£): When it comes to health, districts matter
- Cllr Hannah Dalton, Leader of Epsom and Ewell Borough Council in LGC (£): Prevention-focused districts can help relieve the NHS burden
- James Hood, Director of DCN in NHS Confederation blog: Engaging with district councils – ICS Blog
- Ian Fytche, Chief Executive of North Kesteven District Council in Health Service Journal (£) District councils are the NHS’s natural health improvement partners
- Expert briefing in Health Service Journal (£) The Integrator: the race to the neighbourhood NHS
Reports mentioned in the discussion
- Association of Directors of Public Health report: Putting the ‘integrated’ in ICSs – ADPH Report
- Cheltenham Borough Council: Scrutiny task group on tackling multiple deprivation
- Tendring District Council: Primary school wellbeing hubs – DCN Innovation Spotlight